Tuesday 10 January 2012

blog recipe #9 of 365

Hello my friends!!! day 2 into Avocado week!! Tonight I made one of my favorite salads! Its a great add on to any dinner or a great quick lunch!!
For my friends who are unfamiliar with quinoa (keen.wa) Its one of my favs to cook with.  Its gluten free, great substitute for rice, or pasta.  You can use it for baking (flour), as a side, in soups, as a warm cereal (add fruit & milk) ect.  It is very versatile, and very healthy! High in protein, and omegas! The cooking instructions are the same as rice! 1 cup of quinoa to 2 1/4 cup of water (or broth) bring to a boil.  Then turn heat down to low-medium (4) and simmer for 20 mins (or until water is fully absorbed) then fluff with a fork 8)
I hope you enjoy the salad as much as me!!


Avocado Quinoa Salad
Prep time: 10 mins   Cook time: 20 mins (cooking quinoa)

2 cups of Quinoa
1 Avocado
1 Tomato
½ cup Yellow pepper
¼ cup Green onion
1 Clove of garlic
Juice of half of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp mint
1 Tbsp basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Chop all veggies very finely.
Put quinoa and veggies in a bowl, add lemon and spice.  Toss till blended well.
Chill in fridge for ½ hour to an hour.  Then serve.


This recipe is gluten free and dairy free!!
Enjoy 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment