Sunday 8 January 2012

blog recipe #7 of 365

Good evening my friends!! Tonight I made Shepard's pie, un-traditionally of course.  I learned today that a traditional Shepard's pie is made with lamb.  I however made my Shepard's pie with ground chicken! I also used a different take on the traditional veggies, for a little more interesting flavors....I hope you like it as much as me 8)


Un-traditional Shepard’s Pie
prep time: 10 mins     cook time: 1 hour

1 lbs of lean ground meat of choice
2 russet potatoes
2 medium parsnips
1 cup of corn kernels
½ of a fennel bulb (thinly sliced)
1 medium zucchini (thinly sliced lengthwise)
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup of sweet onion (chopped)
2 Tbsp greek yogurt
½ cup of partly skimmed mozza
½ cup of fresh parmesan
¼ cup sliced chives
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp ground sage
4 tsp basil
2 tsp pepper

Pre heat oven to 400 ͦF
In a medium pan, add ground meat, onion, garlic, ground mustard, ground sage, 2 tsp of basil, and 1 tsp of pepper.  Cook on medium, until meat is cooked through.
Meanwhile, boil water in a medium pot, add the potatoes and parsnips.  Cook until soft.  Drain out the water.  Add the greek yogurt, 2 tsp of basil, and 1 tsp of pepper.  With a hand blender, blend potato/parsnip mixture until creamy.
In a medium baking dish, layer in the cooked meat, then the corn, then the fennel, then the zucchini, topped off with the potato mixture on top.  Cover with lid and bake for 20 mins.
Remove pie after 20 mins; add the cheese mixture (mozza and parmesan), and chive slices on top.  Place back into the oven uncovered for an extra 10 mins


Again another one of my one dish, dishes....8) this dish can be dairy free if you choose, by not adding the cheese and using coconut yogurt, or soy yogurt (however I prefer the coconut over the soy)
This dish is also gluten free!!
enjoy!!!
Please feel free to add comments below if you've tried any of my recipes! I would love to know what you think!!! 
Also feel free to leave requests for dishes you would like healthy alternatives to!! or ask away on any foods your unfamiliar with!!!
See you all tomorrow 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment